Information for Travelers
Pre-departure health and safety Information for travelers abroad is available from a variety of sources. These include:
- US Department of State – http://travel.state.gov
- ISOS – https://www.internationalsos.com/
Any University student, staff, faculty, volunteer or partner may access ISOS advice and services when travelling abroad. Please contact the Office of Global Safety and Support at 315.443.1968 or at email@example.com for a membership card.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) provides health advice for International travelers including recommended vaccinations and a rating system that indicates the health risk of a particular location. Information can be accessed at: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel
- The US Central Intelligence Agency maintains a world fact book that provides a useful overview for every international destination. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
Helpful Travel Tips and Tools
The links below are accessible in the public domain via the internet. They are neither owned nor operated by Syracuse University. Travelers should use their own judgment in evaluating the quality of the information provided.
- Travel Safety Apps –
- International SOS provides a useful smartphone app for information and support overseas. University travelers are urged to visit the app store for their device and search for “ISOS.”
- The US State Department provides a useful app that supports registration in their Smart Traveler program. Should visit the appropriate app store and search for “smart traveler.”
- Currency Converter – Google provides a basic currency converter. Simply type “currency converter” as a search parameter.
- International Dialing Codes – Have to call someone in another country? Country dialing codes and international prefixes can be found here: https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/international-calling-codes.htm
- World Clock – Find out what time it is anywhere! https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
- International Holidays – Find out if you are arriving to a party! https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/